setup: how to select all src packages too?

Fri Feb 21 04:44:00 GMT 2014

On 2/20/2014 5:50 PM, Luke Kendall wrote:
> On 02/18/2014 08:26 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Luke Kendall!
>>
>>> It's great that Cygwin has so many packages.  And setup.exe makes it
>>> easy to select the packages you want.
>>> But it seems quite difficult to also select all the corresponding source
>>> packages as well, simply because there are so many packages! In the
>>> worst case, where you want every package, and all the source packages
>>> too, surely you don't have to scroll and click 3,000-odd times in the UI
>>> to select them all?  But I haven't found a way to do it through setup.
>>> Sorry if this is a dumb question.  I have searched, but couldn't find an
>>> answer.
>> This is a known deficiency of a Cygwin setup.
>> However, how many source packages you ACTUALLY, REALLY need to download?
>>

>> --
>> WBR,
>> Andrey Repin (anrdaemon@yandex.ru) 18.02.2014, <13:24>
>>
>> Sorry for my terrible english...
>>

> I imagine others have suggested that the UI for the missing functionality
> could be as simple as a checkbox to include source package for all packages
> selected.
>
> We actually, really needed to download all the source packages, because we
> need to be able to check the licenses, and the licenses can often only be
> found by looking in the source packages.
>
> We worked around the problem by rsync-ing the whole thing, in the end.
>
> Thanks for confirming that it wasn't a dumb question, Andrey!

Well, he didn't exactly say it wasn't a dumb question. ;-)

Just kidding!

Mirroring is actually a good way to grab all the source with relative ease,
given setup's mechanism is much more laborious.  And while neither way is
optimal, I think you get points for finding the path of lesser pain. :-)

--
Larry