Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Kurt Franke Kurt-Franke@web.de
Fri Feb 14 13:51:00 GMT 2014

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> > Indeed.  After the discussion yesterday I already realized that we will
> > need some commandline tool to request passwd and group entries.
> >
> > There is a function called getpw on Linux which allows to fetch a passwd
> > entry in the form it has in /etc/passwd:
> >
> >   http://linux.die.net/man/3/getpw
>
> Gosh, please ignore this function.  It's old and dangerous.  Treat this
> mail as if I never mentioned this function, ok?
>
> Corinna

Hi Corinna,

I think the function family

getpwent()
getgrent()

would be good for this if you add checking in SAM for asked information.

And of course to small executables utilizing it for use in shell scripts

Regards

kf