ssh: Could not resolve hostname

Tomas Jankovic tomas.jankovic@gandy.sk
Fri Feb 14 08:05:00 GMT 2014

Hi,

after update all packages ssh cannot recognize host with upper case
letter in name in config file. I have tried install older version of
ssh, but
nothing has changed. For example I have this record in my config file:

$ cat ~/.ssh/config
Host Example
  hotname 127.0.0.1

$ ssh -vvv Example
OpenSSH_6.5, OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
debug1: Reading configuration data ~/.ssh/config
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
ssh: Could not resolve hostname example: Name or service not known

If I have changed it to (small e in beginning of name):

$ cat ~/.ssh/config
Host example
  hotname 127.0.0.1

$ ssh -vvv example
OpenSSH_6.5, OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
debug1: Reading configuration data ~/.ssh/config
debug1: ~/.ssh/config line 1: Applying options for example
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1] port 22.

Workaround is use only lower case letters in name of host, but it is
only workaround. Before update it has worked.

Tomas