RFC: 1.7.33 problem with user's home directory

David Stacey drstacey@tiscali.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 23:29:00 GMT 2014

On 10/12/14 20:52, cyg Simple wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> Greetings, Corinna Vinschen!

>>>   The snapshots always have a date attached to the filename.
>> I mean, if there's a way to know, what is the latest available snapshot?
>> If I want to write a script, that fetch [and install] one.
>> I can parse the/snapshots/  page, of course, but this is the least desirable
>> choice. For multiple reasons. I would like to have a single point, that could
>> refer to the very latest snapshot. Even if it is something like
>> /snapshots/x86/cygwin-inst-latest.tar.xz redirecting to
>> actual latest snapshot, that'd be quite enough.
>>
> You could just parse the setup.hint file from your favorite mirror.

This doesn't work in the general case, as not all snapshots are uploaded
as test packages. Plus you'd have to wait while your favourite mirror
picked up the new package.

Sadly, parsing the HTML is the only way to go right now. This is very
error-prone, as any assumption you make about the structure of the HTML
could change with no notice. The following works (as the snapshots page
stands) by extracting the date from one of the filenames:

wget -q -O - http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ | egrep
"cygwin1-[0-9]*.dll.xz" | head -n 1 | sed
's/^.*cygwin1-\([0-9]*\)\.dll\.xz.*$/\1/g'

This is about as fool-proof as I can make it. It assumes nothing about
the HTML, so it should survive a fairly substantial change to the web
page. Provided we don't change the format of the filenames, the above
stands a chance of working. YMMV.

Cheers,

Dave.