(call-process ...) hangs in emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Aug 29 19:36:00 GMT 2014

On 8/29/2014 3:23 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> With the latest snapshot I can't start the sshd service.  The
>> Application Log just says, "`sshd' service stopped, exit
>> status:255". The problem doesn't occur with the 2014-08-27 snapshot.
>> I guess this has something to do with the new permissions on various
>> files, but I'm not sure which ones.
>
> Off the top of my head for the standard installation:
>
> /etc/ssh*
> /var/empty
> /var/log/sshd
>
> When you try to debug the sshd, IIR these are the files that must be
> chown'ed to the admin user that runs sshd from the terminal.  Running in
> debug mode (either from the terminal or via sshd_config) should produce
> messages which file or directory sshd is choking on.

I just checked /var/log/sshd.log.  (I hadn't thought to do that before.)
  The last message in it is, "/var/empty must be owned by root and not
group or world-writable."  So the problem seems to be that /var/empty
appears to sshd to be group writable under the latest snapshot.  This is
the "downside" that Corinna mentioned.  What needs to be done to
/var/empty to fix this?

Ken