Windows 7 sshd can only login as cyg_server

Mon Aug 25 10:51:00 GMT 2014

On Aug 22 17:24, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 08/22/2014 04:44 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >That's what I meant.  Do you have a non-admin account for testing
> >a login?
>
> I can only make a local non-admin user.  If I use that, it is just
> returning "Permission denied" after I enter the password.  I guess I'll
> have to fiddle with it a little more to see if I can figure out why that
> is.  But that seems tangential to the issue reported.

But your effect doesn't sound good either.

> If I try using the cyg_server account (yuck, I feel filthy! ;-) ), I get
> kicked out the same way as reported minus the message about chown.  That's
> as close as I've gotten and, of course, it's exactly opposite what was
> reported.

Right.  But the default setup of the cyg_server account in /etc/passwd
is to start /bin/false as login shell.  Did you change that to /bin/bash?

> >>That's with a local cyg_server running the service?
> >
> >Yes, sorry for not being clearer.  That was the hacky part.  It required
> >to change the domain policy and stuff like that.
>
> OK, so this sounds similar to what I'm seeing with my domain account and
> with a local cyg_server running sshd.  I'm _shocked_.

> >>Yeah, me neither.  That's... special. ;-)
> >
> >...and a bit incomprehensible :(
>
> Indeed.  Maybe the OP has an actual file for the pseudo /dev/pty1 file?  If
> so, maybe the permissions on the file are getting in the way??

That would be one good idea but I think that's not very likely.
Cygwin's device handling wouldn't notice the file and call all
the internal functions for ptys instead.  This includes chown,
which on ptys is a change of the ACL of four synchronization objects
representing the pty.

Corinna

Red Hat