Replicate packages from 32-bit machine on 64-bit machine

Adam Dinwoodie adam@dinwoodie.org
Fri Aug 22 22:10:00 GMT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 06:17:32PM +0000, Paul.Domaskis wrote:
> Understood, Larry.  It's just that there are so many packages, and I
> don't want to manually find all the matching packages.  Before, if I
> wanted to replicate a cygwin install on another machine, I just
> reinstalled all my packages, but saved the packages to a folder that I
> could write to disc.  I can't do that if I want to replicate my
> packages as 62-bit versions.

I don't think there's any perfect solution to this problem -- as noted
there just isn't a perfect mapping between 32-bit and 64-bit packages --
but it occurs to me that you could install the cygcheck-dep package and
call `cygcheck-dep -il`.  That'll give you a list of just the "leaves"
in the tree of installed packages and their dependencies, which may be a
better starting point for what packages you need to install on your new
system, since you'll automatically get all their dependencies.