gdb 7.8 consistently fails to run executable - error is "dll path too long"

DGStevens deansx@gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:16:00 GMT 2014

I'm unable to use gdb on any c/c++ executables.  When I try, gdb issues the
message "dll path too long" and fails to start the target executable.

I know that I must be doing something stupid, but it's escaping me.  The
only forum discussion that I could find suggested using mintty, which I am.
I did see mention of a known bug in gdb, but no suggested workarounds, other
than running in mintty.

The following test case is the simplest that I could manage.  I see the same
failure with both 'C' and C++ files (gcc and g++, respectively).

I'm running Win7, with the old 32-bit cygwin.  cygcheck.txt should be
attached.

$> cat gdbtst.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  printf("Hello World!\n");
}

$> gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.8.3

$> gcc -g gdbtst.c -o gdbtst.exe
$> gdbtst.exe
Hello World!
$> gdb gdbtst.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.8
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from gdbtst.exe...done.
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x4011be: file gdbtst.c, line 4.
(gdb) step
The program is not being run.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/Deans/SBX/Samples/gdbtst.exe
[New Thread 34472.0x8ad8]
dll path too long
(gdb) step
Cannot execute this command while the selected thread is running.
(gdb) quit
A debugging session is active.

        Inferior 1 [process 34472] will be killed.

Quit anyway? (y or n) y
$> cygcheck -s -v -r >cygcheck.txt

cygcheck.txt <http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/file/n110722/cygcheck.txt>