Running a cygwin application on Windows

Fernando Gont fgont@si6networks.com
Sat Aug 16 12:59:00 GMT 2014

> On Aug 16 12:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Fernando Gont writes:
>>> My idea was to use cygwin, since I'm not much of a Windows programmer.
>>> Is there any way to produce and ship an exe with the relevant libraries?
>>
>> If I understand correctly what you're trying to do, you need to obtain a
>> commercial license from RedHat for doing so.  Otherwise, if you ship
>> binaries linked against cygwin1.dll you need to also include all sources
>> (for Cygwin and your own application) with each such shipment.
>
> You only need the buyout license if you want to provide binaries only.
> But this is a GPL'ed project, so I assume there's no desire to create
> binary-only packages.

To be as honest and straightforward as possible :-): My goal is to
provide as may options as possible. I will be producing a Cygwin package
since that seems to be a fair way to contribute to this project. But I
also want to address the user that just knows how to run commands from
the windows command line and wants to quickly download & install my
toolkit to try it. -- hence my goal of also producing some sort of
"binary" distribution (even if the binary package also includes the source).

I'm in the process of reading the online information to produce the
Cygwin package. Are there any pointers to get the other stuff done?

Thanks!
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks