rm -f behavior

Fri Apr 25 15:47:00 GMT 2014

Please don't top-post.  Thanks.

On Apr 25 11:30, Douglas Coup wrote:
> I downloaded the x86/cygwin-inst-20140425.tar.xz file.  I assume all
> I need to do is run tar xvf against this file?  From the output it
> certainly looked like it installed the files.

No.  Just download the DLL and only install the DLL in place of the old
DLL.  Installing the tar inst file under Cygwin doesn't effectively
replace the Cygwin DLL.  You should exit all(!) Cygwin processes, mopve
the release DLL out of the way, and move the new DLL in place.

> But I'm not seeing any difference.  I'm still seeing the permission
> denied error on rm -f in the scenarios I've described.
>
> Incidentally, the sequence below should have nothing to do with Perforce.
>
> $ touch dac.txt
> $ chmod 444 dac.txt
> $ rm -f dac.txt
>
> This is being done completely outside of any Perforce workspaces.

Sorry, this isn't helpful.  Make sure you're *really* using the correct
Cygwin DLL from the snapshot (uname -a), and if the above sequence
really fails to work, first call `attrib dac.txt' before calling rm to
see if the R/O attribute is set, then call rm under strace again and
send the strace.  Also, if the R/O attribute gets set in the above
sequence, I have to know where it comes from.  As I said, Cygwin does
not set the flag at all for normal files, not even in chmod.

Corinna

Red Hat