rm -f behavior

Thu Apr 24 14:23:00 GMT 2014

On Apr 23 16:43, Douglas Coup wrote:
> I run Cygwin on a Windows 8.1 workstation.
>
> I just recently started noticing that the following sequence doesn't work:
>
> $ touch dac.txt
> $ chmod 444 dac.txt
> $ rm -f dac.txt
>
> The rm -f command gets a permission denied error.  This just started
> happening recently, and I'm thinking it's because of an update to
> Windows.
>
> If I do chmod u+w dac.txt before the rm -f command, then the command works.
>
> The same sequence executed on a different machine that runs Windows
> 7 and hasn't been updated in a while works fine.  And it used to
> work fine on my workstation.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Not me.  Are you sure you're using Cygwin's rm and chmod?
Could this be related to parent directory permissions?

The problem would be in Cygwin if that happens, but I tested this on a
fully updated Windows 8.1 in 32 and 64 bit.

Does an `strace -o rm.trace rm dac.txt' give a clue in rm.trace?

Corinna

Red Hat