libtool: link: object name conflicts in archive

Peter Rosin peda@lysator.liu.se
Tue Apr 15 23:53:00 GMT 2014

On 2014-04-15 13:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> link: object name conflicts in archive". I used the same for 1.5.0 and
>>> it worked.

>>> it needs lib.exe from Visual Studio. I changed it to minimal, but i have
>>> still the same error
>>>
>>> No, it doesn't.  Libtool calls gcc, it never tries to use VS tools.
>>> This looks like a problem earlier in the build.
>>>
>> and whats about lib.exe, do i need the path to VS tools lib.exe or what should use instead ?
>
> gcc uses ld from binutils.  There's really no reason to have any VC tool
> in the path.

Side note, the GNU "equivalent" of MS lib.exe is ar. (ld corresponds to
MS link.exe).

Regarding the issue, it is a bad sign that the archives are named libmbmath.lib,
libmbutil.lib etc. For a Cygwin build, you want them named libmbmath.a. The
.lib suffix is a clear indicator of a problem earlier in the build, just
like Corinna said. Is the Cygwin binutils package installed properly? I
imagine something like this could happen if the binutils install is broken
and the Microsoft tools are on $PATH (but I haven't tested that).

Cheers,
Peter