We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

Chris J. Breisch chris.ml@breisch.org
Fri Apr 11 00:28:00 GMT 2014

Steven Penny wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Chris J. Breisch wrote:

> If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got.
> If Christopher wants to gripe on the mailing that his business, but he and
> everyone else need to get realisic about the fact that not everyone is willing
> to use a 20 year CVS. People criticize my suggestion as not a guaranteed fix.
> Well guess what, nothing is a guaranteed fix for hard problems such as this. How
> do you encourage more people to contribute? well you can start by making it
> easier for them, which is what I am proposing.

And your proposal has been heard. Also other options have been
discussed. No one but you is talking about continuing forever with the
exact same technologies. But none of the options can be accomplished
with a snap of the finger. And continuing to complain and whine after
the discussion of what you seem to think is a problem will rarely
accomplish anything useful. Still, if it makes you feel better, by all
means continue, but I suspect that this thread is about to be locked
down, as it does not appear to serve any useful purpose at this point.

>> So, like Andy, pardon me if I'm not moved to tears by your difficulties
>> submitting patches.
>
> My difficulties? I dont see your name on this list
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-04/msg00206.html
> so perhaps you should get out of that glass house.

I'm not in a glass house, and I'll throw all the rocks I want, thank you
very much. I never said I had difficulty submitting a patch. I'm sure it
would be very easy to do. But my needs are general enough that I rarely
run into problems that haven't already been discussed here. I think I
have discovered one problem with file and path handling, but I haven't
had a chance to check to see if it's my problem or Cygwin's. In fact, it
may be another incarnation of a problem that's been discussed here a few
times. However, IF I verify that it is a Cygwin problem, and not mine,
and not a known one, I will likely use CVS and attempt to track down the
problem and submit a patch. I'm betting it won't be nearly as hard as
you seem to think.

So, again, pardon me if I'm not moved to tears by your difficulties.

--
Chris J. Breisch