Possible bug with chere 1.4 when configuring for fish

Dave Kilroy kilroyd@googlemail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:49:00 GMT 2014

On 07/04/2014 23:35, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 13:02, Ronald Fischer wrote:
>> I have installed fish 2.1.0. Works fine, when invoking a new fish shell
>> manually.
>>
>> However, when doing a
>>
>>     chere -ifcm -t mintty -s fish
>>
>> and invoke the new fish shell from the Windows Explorer context menu, I
>> get plenty of error messages, like this:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> (more of this kind follow).
>>
>> This looks like there is a problem the PATH, but this happens even when
>> I use the -2 on chere when installing the shell. Note that bash or zsh
>> shells installed via cygwin work fine.
>>
> Thanks for the report.
>
> I've just checked my x86_64 and x86 installation. Things are working
> on my installation as I have c:\cygwin\bin on my standard windows
> path. When I remove it and invoke fish, I get the errors that you
> highlight. Similarly when echo'ing $PATH under the broken fish,
> /usr/bin is not one of the entries.
>
> I need to have a play around to see how I can fix this, but I thought
> cygwin prepended /usr/bin to the path...

I've had more time to look around. If you add the following to the file
~/.config/fish/config.fish (create it if you haven't already got one),
then things should work as intended:

if status --is-login
	set PATH /usr/local/bin /usr/bin $PATH
end

Alternatively drop it in the fish global startup file,
/usr/share/fish/config.fish. Konrad, would you consider adding the above
fragment to config.fish in the next release? That should bring fish into
line with the other shells*. You might also consider adding some of the
other environment variables like PRINTER etc etc.

Thanks,

Dave.
---
* FYI
Bash gets /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin prefixed to its path by
/etc/profile (supplied by base-files)
mksh and posh also use /etc/profile
tcsh gets these prefixed by /etc/csh.login (supplied by tcsh)
zsh uses /etc/zprofile (supplied by zsh)