Pine mail reader

Warren Young warren@etr-usa.com
Fri Apr 4 20:29:00 GMT 2014

On 4/4/2014 07:57, J. David Boyd wrote:
> I (think I) recall that Pine used to be available in the Cygwin archive.
>
> It no longer is?  Any ideas where to get a Cygwin compatible binary?

Pine is basically dead, partly because of licensing/trademark problems
with the University of Washington, and partly due to waning interest
from that same group.  (Cite: http://goo.gl/SkfCef)

Alpine was created to solve those problems, though it went through about
4 years of no releases, too.  Alpine development restarted last year:
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/release/

Another fork is re-alpine: http://sourceforge.net/projects/re-alpine/

Someone who cares about a pine-like mail reader should start packaging
one of these two for Cygwin.

(Not me.  I rarely use pine/alpine, and then only to read cron
complaints in mbox format on systems without a real SMTP setup.  Even
then, I probably use mailx more often.)