setup.exe and mounting home directory in fstab

Rob Siklos cygwin@siklos.ca
Thu Sep 19 21:07:00 GMT 2013

Background:

I wanted my /home directory to point to c:\Users rather than the
out-of-the-box home directory created by cygwin.  In order to
accomplish this, I deleted the existing home folder and created a soft
link mapping /home to /cygdrive/c/Users.

This works great, except that I notice that every time I run
setup.exe, my soft link gets removed and a new profile is created for
me the next time I open a Cygwin terminal.

Every time this happens, I just delete the new /home folder and
re-create the soft link.  However, this is getting annoying, so I'm
looking for a different solution.

My current solution is to just mount it in fstab with the following line:

   c:/Users /home ntfs binary,posix=0,nouser

This is working fine, but now I'm worried about what setup.exe will do
to this folder the next time I update Cygwin.  Will it be safely left
alone, or will my user profile get deleted?

Thanks in advance,
Rob.