Emacs font trouble

Robert McBroom mcforum@bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 19 06:14:00 GMT 2013

On 9/18/2013 9:57 PM, Ken Brown wrote:

> On 9/18/2013 9:07 PM, Robert McBroom wrote:
>> Having trouble getting an acceptable fixed font display on emacs. All my
>> old standards don't seem to be showing up any more. terminal, fixed,
>> courier, 8514fix, etc.
>> -fn "Lucida Console-8" worked for a while but not any more
>> error: Invalid font name, -b&h-Lucida
>> Console-normal-normal-semi-condensed-*-11-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
>>
>> -fn "-misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-*-*-*-c-60-iso8859-1"
>>
>> I would really like a 9pt font so I can get four windows on my wide
>> screen.
>
> Click on "Set Default Font" in the "Options" menu.  It will show you
> the available fonts.  There are many 9pt fonts available on my system.
> After selecting one you like, click on "Save Options", and your choice
> will be used by default in future sessions.
>
> See the "Fonts" section of the emacs manual for much more information.

Done that many times, but don't find any usable fixed fonts.  The
declarations in my earlier email are ones as exampled in the "Fonts"
section of the emacs manual that have worked in the past but don't seem
to now.  Can't see any thing that shows up wrong in /usr/share/fonts.
Save Options says changes to .emacs are saved but the file doesn't
change even though the file is rwxrwxrwx.

Robert McBroom