cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)

Thu Sep 12 15:44:00 GMT 2013

On 12/09/2013 11:26 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>> Try *copying* setup64.exe to foo.exe.  Or download it again but save it
>> with the name foo.exe.
>> Windows may be remembering that the file used to be called setup*.exe.
>> That memory might not get copied.
> Doesn't work: "the requested operation requires elevation".
I have vague memories that someone (Corinna?) suggested copying the file
to a USB key and back: the FAT filesystem can't track the permissions
that cause this behavior. Never tested it myself, though (maybe I
should, it would be nice to lose the UAC prompt).

Ryan