setup.ini dependency graph?

Wed Oct 30 19:25:00 GMT 2013

On 30/10/2013 8:48 AM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> On 10/26/2013 5:40 AM, David Stacey wrote:
>> On 25/10/13 17:12, Charles Wilson wrote:
>> Oooo - this sounds like fun. I've knocked up some (very bad) perl that
>> gives you what you need. It generates a graphviz file that you can pipe
>> to 'dot' to generate the dependency graph in whatever format you
>> require. Put the perl script and your 'setup.ini' file in the same
>> directory and type:
>>
>>      ./graph_setup_ini.pl | dot -Tpdf -osetup.pdf
>
> Thanks, that worked well.
>
>> Your problem here is Big Data: Cygwin has 3041 packages, and any
>> dependency graph with this number of nodes is going to look a mess. It
>> also takes a while to process the data. Oh, and some PDF viewers won't
>> display the output file (LibreOffice Draw was the only tool I have that
>> managed it). However, if your starting point is a stripped down Cygwin
>> then you might be OK.
>
> Yeah; even for my stripped-down version, I need to pre-process the
> setup.ini and remove all mentions of cygwin, libstdc++6, libgcc1, etc.
> The ncurses DLLs are also a huge nexus.  (It's probably easier to
> exclude those nodes by mucking with the perl, but...)
Quick question: do you have 1+ known-big-unwanted packages and need to
know who's pulling them in, or are you hoping to take some cut of the
graph that gets as many desirable packages as possible given the space
constraints? The graph-building script here is good for the latter, but
I had the impression you were doing the former; if so, my script might
get you to an answer faster by avoiding information overload.

Ryan