popen: Permission denied - error opening man page

Fri Oct 25 19:52:00 GMT 2013

On 10/24/2013 6:34 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
> I completely wiped my Cygwin32 install and re-installed the bare
> minimum set of packages. But I still can't get something as basic as
> 'man ls' to run from a non-admin mintty bash shell.
>
> x86$ man ls
> popen: Permission denied
> Attempt [/usr/bin/gunzip -c /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz] to expand man
> page failed
> No manual entry for ls
>
> I had the same symptom before I wiped my system. Things do work okay
> with an Administrator shell. It also works fine in cygwin64 - both a
> admin/non-admin shell.
>
> I found this (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-05/msg00165.html) old
> thread but don't think the same fix applies.

Perhaps not but it's worth checking your shells at least.

> Appreciate any feedback/help.

I'd recommend sending a full problem report.

You can also try running the problematic command directly from a
DOS prompt with 'strace' to see if it uncovers anything suspect.

--
Larry