[x86_64 on W7] Cannot remove cygwin root directory

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Oct 16 11:49:00 GMT 2013

On 10/16/2013 5:37 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
> I want to reinstall cygwin but I cannot remove the root directory
> because of this file:
> C:\cygwin64\usr\share\texmf-dist\doc\latex\hausarbeit-jura\README.
> It has very strange properties: when I right click on it
> Properties/Security, this is what I get: “The requested security
> information is either unavailable or can't be displayed”

There is an upstream packaging bug that caused two copies of the README
file to be installed, one of which is called "README." (including the
dot).  I guess Windows is confused by whatever Cygwin does to allow file
names to include a dot.  But you can delete the file from a Cygwin bash
shell.

Ken