emacs-w32 24.3-7 aborts frequently using TRAMP

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 20 12:49:00 GMT 2013

On 11/18/2013 3:53 PM, SDS wrote:
> Update on the session that produced this error earlier:
>
> On 11/18/2013 3:14 PM, SDS wrote:
>> More information about Lisp errors. I got a different Lisp error while
>> leaving emacs-w32 -Q with TRAMP in the background. Output from the Lisp
>> Debugger is shown below:
>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
>>> `max-lisp-eval-depth'")
>>>  seconds-to-time(0.5)
>>>  timer-relative-time((21130 28177 985108 200000) 0.5 0 nil)
>>>  timer-inc-time([t 21130 28177 985108 0.5 blink-cursor-timer-function
>>> nil nil 200000] 0.5 0)
>>>  timer-event-handler([t 21130 28177 985108 0.5
>>> blink-cursor-timer-function nil nil 200000])
>>
>> First is from time-date.el, the last three are from timer.el.

[...]

> The steps I used to reproduce this are given below:
> 1) Run emacs-w32 -Q & in bash
> 2) M-x toggle-debug-on-error to enable the Emacs Lisp Debugger
> 3) C-x d to open a directory in Dired
> 4) Specify a remote directory
> 5) After the Dired buffer loads, open a file in the remote directory
> with <RET>
> 6) Minimize the Emacs window and wait

Thanks for the clear instructions.  I can reproduce the Lisp errors, but
so far I haven't seen an abort.  I've had one session running for about
24 hours.

I'll look into the Lisp errors when I get a chance, but I wonder if
there's something else going on (BLODA?) that's causing the abort on
your system.  Do you have access to a Windows computer that doesn't have
Symantec Endpoint Protection installed?

By the way, there have been some recent changes in the way emacs handles
the blinking cursor.  One of the changes turns off the timer for the
blinking cursor when emacs is idle, so it's possible that the problem is
already fixed in the emacs trunk.  I'll look into this also.

Ken