Using native symlinks

Chris Sutcliffe ir0nh34d@gmail.com
Wed May 29 04:52:00 GMT 2013

On 28 May 2013 14:55, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On May 28 14:16, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
>> What permissions do I need for native symlinks to work? According to
>> edit rights I have SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege (when checking via an
>> elevated shell - i.e. with "Run as Administrator"):
>>
>> ┌─┤ csutclif@bmotec3017201lt ├──┤ ~ │
>> └─┤ 14:11 ├─>> editrights -u $USER -l
>> SeLockMemoryPrivilege
>> SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege
>>
>> However, if I try and create a native symlink it still fails.  If
>> using the winsymlink:native option I get a "cygwin" symlink, winln
>
> That's "winsymlinks:native" I hope...

Correct, I mistyped.

>> pops up a message stating I need the SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege.
>> Not sure if it's relevant or not, but the $USER in this case is a
>> domain user, not a local user.
>
> Are you sure it's an elevated shell?  `id -G' should contain 544.  Is
> the filesystem NTFS?  Is it a local NTFS or a remote NTFS hosted by a
> Vista-or-later OS?  If you set CYGWIN=winsymlink

It works fine if I create the native symlinks in an elevated shell,
but does not if I create the native symlinks in a "normal" shell.  Is
this expected (i.e. does creating native symlinks only work in
elevated shells?).  In this case the Domain user is a member of the
local administrators group on the local machine.  This filesystem is a
local NTFS hosted on Windows 7.

Thanks,

Chris

--