Java not starting subprocess with Cygwin X11 Server, only on OS X 10.6 X11

Tue May 28 15:33:00 GMT 2013

On 5/25/2013 8:01 PM, Phillip Dudley wrote:
> I am running into an issue with Cygwin X11 Server on Windows 8. Here
> is the setup I have. I am running CentOS 6.4 on a server that I SSH
> into and forward a program called MegaMek and MekHQ to my desktop.
> They are both Java programs. I can SSH into the server, and forward
> MegaMek just fine, and no issues. However, when I run MekHQ, it has 2
> different screens, and opens an instance of the MegaMek program. When
> I do this, using both Cygwin terminal with SSH forwarding, or PuTTY,
> watching the logs, the MekHQ program seems to throw an exception, and
> start the MegaMek game with no GUI. I can connect to it with another
> MegaMek client, but not the forwarded session. When I use OS X 10.6.8,
> and SSH into the CentOS server, I can run the MekHQ program with no
> issues.
> I was using the Xming server originally, but that hasn't been updated
> since 2007, so I downloaded and installed the Cygwin X11 server, and
> all of the components of the server. It seemed to clear a few other
> problems I was having with X11 forwarding, but this seems to be
> something not too many other people are doing.
>
> This is my first mailing list, so, I'm not sure what all else I should
> bring to the table. Thanks for any help guys and gals.

First, welcome. :-)

There is a mailing list dedicated to Cygwin/X-specific issues.  You may
have better luck there.  To see its and other Cygwin list charters, go to
<http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Also the Cygwin/X main page may have some
useful information for you.  I direct your attention to the announcement
there for users upgrading from monolithic X (which includes you :-) ).
See the link below:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2008-11/msg00000.html>

I'd recommend when reporting your problem on the Cygwin/X list, you
follow the problem reporting guidelines for Cygwin found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

It probably also makes sense to include '/var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log'
from your problematic session.

--
Larry