Bash sub-shell freezing in Midnight Commander

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon May 20 14:25:00 GMT 2013

Il 5/20/2013 3:39 PM, Seb.Th ha scritto:
> Le 14/05/2013 18:08, Nate Bargmann wrote :
>> I'm relatively new to Cygwin and am using it to enhance portability of a
>> software package I help maintain.  To be sure that a bug I was hitting
>> in my compilation was in my software package I updated Cygwin last week
>> and since then I have found that the sub-shell started by Midnight
>> Commander is apparently freezing.
>>
>> (...) I've tried
>> downgrading mc but that did not help.  I have found that mc is
>> responsive until a directory change is called or an external command is
>> attempted from the command bar.  I have found via Windows Task Manager
>> that the 'bash.exe' process instantly jumps to 99% CPU usage.  Once that
>> process is killed mc functionality returns (I didn't test all functions)
>> although the command bar is dead and no external commands can be run.
>
> Same problem here with mc, freezing ten / twenty seconds on directories
> navigation and subshell call (crtl-O). Using mc with -u, --nosubshell
> option "fixes" the problem, but of course, ctrl+O is disabled.
>
> lftp has same issues (freezing and high %CPU on bash.exe) while
> executing local commands (!ls, !cd, ...).

No bash freeze on my PC also within lftp.
The only main differences I noticed between my system
and Nate's one are:

Windows Vista Home Premium Ver 6.0 Build 6002 Service Pack 2
vs
Windows 7 Professional N Ver 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

and a relative long path

         C:\cygwin\bin
         C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live
         C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution
         C:\Windows\system32
         C:\Windows
         C:\Windows\system32\wbem
         C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution
         C:\hp\bin\Python
         C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem
         C:\Program Files\Common Files\DivX Shared
         C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
         C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Shared
         C:\Program Files\GTK2-Runtime\bin
         C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem
         C:\Users\Rick\unix\usr\local\wbin
         C:\cygwin\lib\lapack

> Reinstalling cygwin package from 1.7.18-1 to 1.7.17-1 restored a safe
> behaviour.

could you also try:
- latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
- a stream line PATH