Space key + gdb?

Thu May 9 19:57:00 GMT 2013

On 8/25/2012 5:25 PM, Charles Wilson wrote:
> So I was trying to debug why my new build of rxvt-unicode crashes as
> soon as I try to do anything interesting, and found that gdb was
> unusable. I was trying to type 'set args' but the space key would not work.
>
> No, it's not my keyboard.
>
> In the same terminal, I can type spaces all day long, but as soon as I
> start gdb, /gdb/ won't recognize them. I can get the same behavior in a
> cygwin shell in a dosbox, or in (old, non unicode)rxvt, or in mintty.

I was still seeing this behavior, on both 32- and 64-bit cygwin, in each
of the modes above.  I found that deleting my ~/.inputrc and replacing
it with /etc/skel/.inputrc fixed the problem.

Apparently, the culprit was:

   # 'Magic Space'
   # Insert a space character then performs
   # a history expansion in the line
   Space: magic-space

If enabled, gdb breaks.  If commented out (as below), then gdb works:

   #Space: magic-space

--
Chuck