cygwin install failed, need help troubleshooting

John Guad johnguad@gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:01:00 GMT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 08:51:38AM -0700, John Guad wrote:
>>On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM, John Guad  wrote:

>> I did a search using the built-in windows search tool ('search
>> companion' ... gotta love XP), selected target "all hard drives" which
>> in my case is just one - "c:\", search term "cygwin", and it tells me
>> that there is one and only one "cygwin1.dll" file anywhere on my
>> machine, located in c:\cygwin\bin.
>
> Did you search for hidden files?

Yes

>> Running the cygcheck program ("cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out")
>> results in an empty (zero byte) file.  No output.
>
> What does running cygcheck without the redirection do?

No results.  I execute the program in a command window, current
directory at c:\cygwin\bin, simply typed in the comand as above --
tried multiple times both with and without the redirection -- press
enter, and the screen blinks and the command line returns. No output
is displayed, or in the case of the redirection, no output is written
to the output file.