exit bug on 1.7.17 ?

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 17:51:00 GMT 2013

Corinna, Cgf,
your opinion please, I guess this behavior changed long time ago

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Postgresql for cygwin - 2nd
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:16:04 -0500
From: Andrew Dunstan
To: marco atzeri

pg_ctl is broken because it hangs waiting for a child process to finish.
This can be seen with the following test program:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>

    main()
    {
         system("sleep 5 && echo waking&");
         printf("done\n");
         exit(0);
    }

On my Cygwin 1.7.7/ gcc 4.3.4 system this program returns immediately as
expected and does not wait for the child to exit. However, on Cygwin
1.7.17 / gcc 4.5.3 it does not return until the child exits, even though
the system() call returns immediately.

That's a major piece of breakage (and nothing to to with Postgres, of
course).

cheers

andrew