Change the locale in cygwin terminal for diskpart results

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Mon Mar 4 21:00:00 GMT 2013

Am 04.03.2013 18:48, schrieb marco atzeri:
> On 3/4/2013 5:49 PM, dbpradeep wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I change the locale in cygwin terminal for a session from
>> english to
>> say french and then run diskpart commands say list disk, to get the
>> results
>> in french
>>

> diskpart does not belong to cygwin, so it behave differently
> than cygwin programs
>
> For cygwin programs define LANG to your preferred setting:
>
> $ export LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
>
> $ diskpart /?
>
> Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
> Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
> On computer: MARCOATZERI
>
> Microsoft DiskPart syntax:
> diskpart [/s <script>] [/?]
>
> /s <script> - Use a DiskPart script.
> /? - Show this help screen.
>

> $ ls --help
> Utilisation : ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...
> Liste des informations à propos des FILE(s) (du répertoire actuel par
> défaut).
> Trie les entrées alphabétiquement si aucune des options -cftuvSUX ou
> --sort
> n'est utilisées.
> Les arguments obligatoires pour les options longues le
> [cut]
For Windows tools, as far as I know, you could only change the Region
and Language settings - Extended settings, in System Control, and then
need to reboot, so this is not flexible (at least in Windows XP).
A related problem, though not an answer to your question, is the problem
of the character set.
Again, Windows tools use a completely different mechanism than cygwin.
Worse, different tools follow different criteria. The character encoding
for diskpart can be configured with the "codepage" setting at runtime,
like this in a Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

$ diskpart "/?"
Microsoft DiskPart Version 5.1.3565
Syntax fâ–’r Microsoft-Datentrâ–’gerpartitionierung:
$ chcp.com 65001
Aktive Codepage: 65001.
$ diskpart "/?"
Microsoft DiskPart Version 5.1.3565
Syntax für Microsoft-Datenträgerpartitionierung:

For this reason, it would actually be nice if some cygwin component
could synchronize settings (implicitly set chcp following the locale).
On the other hand, this does not help with all tools (probably because
they use different ones among the variety of output mechanisms available
in Windows):

$ xcopy
Unzulâ–’ssige Parameteranzahl
$ chcp.com 65001