Perl DBD::Oracle 'make test' fails: Oracle.dll permission denied

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 20:00:00 GMT 2013

On 3/4/2013 8:01 PM, Bob McGowan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, I'm not subscribed, please include my email in the reply.
>
> I have installed Cygwin 1.7 (Windows properties says:  1007.17.0.0,
> currently).
>
> I'm running under Windows XP (version 2002, service pack 2).
>
> I have DBI 1.623 installed, and am attempting to install DBD::Oracle 1.27.
>
> I'm using Oracle instant client for Oracle 11.2, and I created my own
> oci.def file using 'pexports' and 'dlltool', as described in the header
> of the original oci.def file.

I will not bet on 'pexports' and 'dlltool' making the right thing,

> The 'perl Makefile.PL' generates no errors.
>
> My 'make' creates Oracle.dll without any major issues (a few minor
> complaints about mismatched types in printf, pointer casts, ...).
>
> The 'make test' fails the first test:
>
>    Can't load ... Oracle.dll for module DBD::Oracle: Permission denied...

check with depends (http://www.dependencywalker.com/)
if all the dll links are correct.

> I've searched the FAQ (found 15 articles with similar issues, but no
> helpful resolution) and the web (various suggestions such as being sure
> files are executable, and using regsvr32 to register the dll found,
> tried but no joy).
>
> I did a getfacl on several dll's supplied by Cygwin, and Perl, for
> comparison, and I've set Oracle.dll to be at least the same, and just
> for fun, added the 'SYSTEM' group with r-x permission.
>
> Nothing has helped, so I can't successfully test Oracle functionality
> before installing it.
>
> When I did do the 'make install', make reported running 'rebase' on
> Oracle.dll.
>
> I have not tested this install, yet, but I'm wondering if 'rebase' is
> what was missing, or is there something else that must be done to get
> dll's with Perl working, for testing?  I have several other modules that
> I use which are C based, so would create dll's and I'd like to be sure
> I'm not doing something incorrectly, here.

rebase issue will be reported as fork problem that is not your case.