texlive-install: core dumped

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sat Jun 29 23:37:00 GMT 2013

On 6/29/2013 3:38 PM, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Ken Brown, 29.06.2013 20:36:21:
>
>> setup.ini just lists available packages.  Use cygcheck to find out
>> what you have actually installed.
>
> When a package is installed it also lists something like:
>
> [prev]
> version: 4.13-1
>
> Doesn't it?

No.  setup.ini lists the packages that are available for install.  Often
there is a "previous" version as well as a "current" version.  This
allows you to choose, when running setup.exe, the previous version if
you don't want to install the current version for some reason.
Occasionally there is also a test version.  None of this has anything to
do with which packages you have installed.

>> dvipdfm.def no longer exists in TeX Live 2013, and you shouldn't have
>> to create it.  Please give the details of what you were doing that led
>> to this error message.
>
> 1. pdfetex -progname latex $*
>
> 2. dvipdfm -p a4 $*

I just tried these commands with no problems:

$ pdfetex -progname latex sample2e.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013/Cygwin)
  restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex
LaTeX2e <2011/06/27>
Babel <3.9f> and hyphenation patterns for 78 languages loaded.
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo)) (./sample2e.aux)
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/omscmr.fd) [1] [2] [3]
(./sample2e.aux) )

Output written on sample2e.dvi (3 pages, 7484 bytes).
Transcript written on sample2e.log.

$ dvipdfm -p a4 sample2e
sample2e.dvi -> sample2e.pdf
[1][2][3]
32208 bytes written

>> including the part about attaching cygcheck output.
>
> Attached.

If you read it, you'll see near the end which packages you have installed.

The one suspicious thing that I see is your path.  For example, the
cygcheck output includes

   Warning: C:\bin\awk.exe hides C:\cygwin\bin\awk

Could there be other things in C:\bin or C:\cygwin\opt\cross-mint\bin
that are interfering with Cygwin?

> Anyway I'm interested in the crashes in the first place.

Sorry, I can't help you with that.

Ken