What is a good profiling tool ? - problem with gprof

Tim Prince n8tm@aol.com
Mon Jun 17 18:19:00 GMT 2013

On 06/17/2013 12:19 PM, J.B.W.Webber wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to find in which function call the most time is being spent.
>
> I am using gcc and trying to compile and link with -g and -pg.
> i.e. for a trivial test :
>
> $ cat helloworld.c
> /* Hello World program */
> #include<stdio.h>
> main()
> {
>      printf("Hello World\n");
> }
>
> $ gcc -g -pg -c helloworld.c
> $ gcc -pg helloworld.o
> helloworld.o: In function `main':
> helloworld.c:6: undefined reference to `_mcount'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Any ideas ? Am I missing a .h call ? Or do I need to link to something ?
>
> I have just updated cygwin. I attach cygcheck.out
>
> Or any suggestions for another profiling tool that actually reports times ?
> Cheers,
> 	Beau

If the gprof section of binutils is properly built and installed, it
should satisfy the mcount reference.
It's a bit strange to make a .o with -g -pg together, particularly when
you don't link with the same options.
FWIW, latest version of Intel VTune works with cygwin builds with -g3
-gdwarf-2 (and of course PATH considerations).

--
Tim Prince