Cross-compiling Linux kernel

Chris J. Breisch chris.ml@breisch.org
Mon Jun 17 16:52:00 GMT 2013

> On Jun 17 17:24, Fedin Pavel wrote:
>>   Hello!
>>
>>   In order to cross-compile Linux kernel i have to patch host-side tools a
>> little bit. Current problems are:
>>   1. Cygwin misses linux/types.h
>>   2. Cygwin defines the following ELF macros according to host machine:
>> ELF_ST_BIND, ELF_ST_TYPE, ELF_R_SYM, ELF_R_TYPE
>>
>>   What about improving Linux compatibility ? We could have own version of
>> linux/types.h (for __u8. __u16, etc), and omit ELF definitions. AFAIK they
>> are not used anywhere, they are just inherited from BSD.
>>   At the other hand, i believe the same problem will happen if i try to
>> cross-compile Linux kernel under BSD. And Cygwin is BSD-style system...
> I have no opinion on the ELF definition issue, but just adding a
> linux system header looks pretty wrong to me.
>

> Corinna

There are far better ways to cross-compile the Linux kernel. I built a
Cross Linux From Scratch system under Cygwin earlier this year. I just
got back from vacation, though. Give me a day or so, and I'll find my
notes on it. I believe most of them have already been posted here in the
past, however.

Chris J. Breisch