pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached

Andrew Schulman schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jun 17 10:08:00 GMT 2013

> > Do we have any idea whether the problem is with mintty or with screen?
>
> I observed the same behaviour as the OP, but also reproduced it in
> rxvt and xterm, so not a mintty issue. Since it works in a console,
> the Cygwin pty layer has to be the main suspect, unless screen has
> specfic code for Cygwin consoles or ptys?

I don't think so, but there's one big, crufty old patch that I had to use to get
screen to run a few years ago.

The version of screen that we're using now in Cygwin, 4.0.3, is about 8 years
old.  There haven't been any official new releases since then, but development
has continued and there have been a lot of improvements.  I'm in the process of
building an updated package from the latest git, and that version appears not to
need any of the patches I used to have to use to get screen to compile and run
in Cygwin.

So, I suggest that we wait until the new screen test release comes out, within a
few days, and see if that fixes the problem.