postgresql: libpq.a not an import library

Thu Jun 13 09:19:00 GMT 2013

On 2013-06-13 03:08, Danjel McGougan wrote:
> It seems the latest libpq5 (9.2.4-2) installs /bin/cygpq-5.dll, but at
> least xemacs fails to find this lib (it looks for cygpq.dll) and fails
> to load. Downgrading libpq5 to 8.2.11-1 solves the xemacs issue for me.

Marco,

While I'm glad to finally have properly versioned PostgreSQL DLLs, we do
need to worry about not breaking everything in the distro (and Ports)
which is linked against the old, unversioned cygpq.dll.

I suggest renaming the old libpq5-8.x packages on sourceware to libpq,
and changing all libpq5 deps in the distro to libpq, namely for:

algol68g
clisp
libQtSql4
libsasl2-sql
odbc-psql
xemacs

Can you take care of this, or shall I?

> Before I downgraded I tried to symlink cygpq.dll to cygpq-5.dll, but this
> caused xemacs to silently fail to start.

The Windows runtime linker doesn't understand symlinks, so that wouldn't
have worked.

Yaakov