pty issue causes 'screen' to hang when run from mintty as detached

Matt D. matt@codespunk.com
Wed Jun 12 22:19:00 GMT 2013

If you read the response from the mintty author in the support ticket
linked in the original post you'll see:

"There've been various issues with pseudo terminal (pty) layer in the
Cygwin 1.7.19 release, which apparently haven't been fully addressed in
1.7.20. Mintty is based on that pty layer, along with other terminals
such as rxvt or xterm, whereas the Windows console window you get
through cygstart is not."

I've tested it with several versions of Cygwin all the way back to 1.7.7.

It might be worth following up with the author through the support
ticket yourself, as he seems to believe that the error lies with
Cygwin's pty and cannot be fixed in mintty.