Process command lines for Cygwin processes no longer viewable in Windows task manager as of Cygwin 1.7.21

Tom Honermann thonermann@coverity.com
Thu Jul 25 18:16:00 GMT 2013

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:44:07AM -0400, Tom Honermann wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, nevermind.  It's not a bug.
>>
>> Could you elaborate?  Prior to 1.7.21, strace provided the command line.
>>   As of 1.7.21 it doesn't.  That looks like a regression to me.
>
> The output that you're looking at says "Here's the command line that is
> being passed to CreateProcess".  Since there is now no command line the
> strace output is correct.

How does that make it not a regression?  The information used to be
provided, now it isn't.

 From a user's perspective, I don't care what the implementation is.
This *looks* broken.  Any user that relied on the information being
present (which is a reasonable expectation given that the tool used to
provide it and still attempts to) will consider this a regression.

I assert that expecting command lines for Cygwin processes to be
viewable in tools like Windows Task Manager and SysInternals Process
Explorer is a reasonable expectation - especially since they have been
present there for many releases - again, going back to at least the
1.5.x days.  This change may have been intentional, but from a user
perspective, it has broken behavior that any Windows user would
reasonably expect to be able to rely on.

Tom.