[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: gcc-4.7.3-1

Tue Jul 2 15:02:00 GMT 2013

On 02/07/2013 10:50 AM, JonY wrote:
> On 7/2/2013 20:00, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> On 02/07/2013 6:26 AM, JonY wrote:
>>> Version 4.7.3-1 of gcc has been uploaded. Some important notes are:
>>>
>>> * gcc-3.x is now finally removed, replaced by this version.
>>>
>>> * This means -mno-cygwin support is also removed completely, use the
>>> provided cross compilers to build Windows code.
>>>
>>> * Previous gcc4-4.5.3 has been renamed to gcc and placed as previous.
>> So this means there is now only one gcc package now, called "gcc" ? With
>> 4.7.3 being the current/default version and 4.5.3 being available as the
>> "previous" version in setup if you insist on using old stuff?
>>
>> How delightful!
> Yes, it is finally gone :)
>
> I wonder when the backlash from users following outdated guides and FAQs
> will start.
You know, we should really have some sort of bounty program where people
can bring up third-party "stuff" and have it added to a list in cygwin's
web page somewhere: if it covers something useful (as in, cygwin's
documentation was lacking), we can incorporate the goodness with proper
attribution; if it's out of date or just plain inaccurate, we can flag
it as such. Knowing how Google works, it's entirely plausible that
somebody searching for an outdated guide would instead find Cygwin's
link to it, along with the blurb explaining why it shouldn't be used
[1]. It would be especially delicious if some of those sites had
automatic track-back systems that posted the official cygwin take in
their own comments. It would also encourage people to check the source
first (or at least check that list) before swallowing a cygwin myth,
kind of like snopes does for internet hoaxes.

Of course, SHTDI, so this may never happen... but it might cut list
traffic enough to pay for itself.

Ryan

[1] We could call it "Embrace, Embarrass, Eliminate." Microsoft would be
proud.