sshd service will not start on Windows 7

Thu Jan 31 03:14:00 GMT 2013

On 1/30/2013 9:13 AM, David Carricajo wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 1:36 PM, misterblinky <misterblinky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> So ... a) cyg_server *is* in the Administrator group in Windows; and b) I ran the editrights commands just in case. Same deal. "CYGWIN sshd service could not be started".
>>
>> Oddly, "groups cyg_server" returns "None root" -- cygwin doesn't think it's in the administrator group.
>>
>> thanks for your thoughts ... any further suggestions?
>>

> The mmc "Event viewer" under the label System should give you more
> information about the offending service. If you installed cygwin and
> then created the user cyg_server, then you should check if it's
> available in /etc/passwd (most probably it's there). Can you start the
> process by issuing the command '/usr/sbin/sshd'?

Please don't attempt this if you don't know what you're doing.  You
can't start sshd from a normal command line without causing problems
for the service unless you start it from a window that's owned by
cyg_server.  If you don't know what I'm talking about and can't
figure it out by looking in the archives and/or googling, then I
recommend you don't try starting 'sshd' directly.

--
Larry