How do I change the default home directory after I fire up cygwin?

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Tue Jan 22 18:05:00 GMT 2013

On 1/22/2013 9:50 AM, Yves wrote:
> This machine is on a corporate network, I'm doing this setup at work :) .
> And yes, there's a domain.
>
> And, after looking at System variables, I found HOME which is pointed to
> H:\.  Would it make sense to just set that to C:\cygwin\home\<user name>?
Personally I'd delete the environment variable that sets HOME to a drive
letter. Drive letters are so 1990's! And largely unneeded anymore.

See also my other post about how to mount what was mounted at H to
/home/<userid>.

In general, IIRC Cygwin says that if HOME is already set in the Windows
environment then we'll use that - otherwise we'll use what's in
/etc/passwd (and I think last resort /home/<userid>).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
This space for rent