Where do the DBUS* programs put their crash logs?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Feb 27 23:51:00 GMT 2013

On 2/27/2013 5:30 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I have a rather convoluted way of starting Emacs, running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit:
>
> [JJR:~] $ cat .startxwinrc
> /usr/bin/emacs --daemon
>
> This sets up Emacs to run in client/server mode.  I use "emacsclient"
> to bring up the editor window.
>
> Then every time I create a new xterm, my .bashrc does this:
>
> if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ] ; then
>      eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
> fi
>
> There are times when I either close the X session, or close the last
> xterm, where it appears the one of the dbus-* utilities crashes (as
> well as reporting a warning about \ vs. / path symbols, even though I
> have CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning).  I get a console window with what
> appears to be some kind of error report.  But it goes away quickly
> enough that I have not been able to capture the contents.  I was
> hoping it would be logged somewhere, but I don't see anything in
> /var/log
>
> How should I go about trying to debug this?

What I'm about to say doesn't answer your question, but it might make
the question irrelevant for you.  I've decided that I'm not going to try
to support GSettings and GConf in emacs-24.3.  The D-BUS issues are just
causing too much trouble, and it all results from an emacs bug that has
been fixed for emacs-24.4.  So I'll save the GSettings and GConf support
for emacs-24.4.

I expect to make a new test release in a few days that no longer
requires a D-BUS session daemon.

Ken