1.7.7 on Windows 7: can't write to removable disk

Thu Feb 21 23:07:00 GMT 2013

On 2/21/2013 5:55 PM, Latchen McKinney wrote:

>>> I forgot the disclaimer:
>>>
>>>    Please test the next developer snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>
>> Update:  I checked in a revised version of the patch.
>> The code from yesterday tried to lock all partitions at open() time at
>> once, which is hardly minimal-invasive.  It would even try to lock all
>> partitions if you just overwrite the boot sector.
>> With the new code, a partition lock is only triggered on-demand.  As
>> soon as a write() call fails with "Access denied", it searches the
>> partition table for a partition which overlaps with the current write
>> position and then tries to lock only that partition.
>>
> Hello!
>
> I am curious if this patch was included in the live build of cygwin.  I use dd for archiving and making new copies of floppy disks from images, and I can no longer do that in Windows 7.  I, too, get the error message:
>
> "dd: writing to /dev/fd0: Permission denied"

Cygwin 1.7.7 is very old and the thread you reference is over 2 years
old.  The current version of Cygwin is 1.7.17.  If you're not up-to-date,
try updating.  If you are and you're having problems, please read and
follow the problem reporting guidelines found at the link below for
any follow-up to this list.

Larry