vc-dir mode in emacs, vc-diff error when not marked file

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Feb 11 18:14:00 GMT 2013

On 2/11/2013 12:49 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/11/2013 12:09 PM, Rockefeller, Harry wrote:
>> When using subversion 1.7.8-2 in emacs 24.2.93-1 "vc-dir" mode
>> and I "vc-dir-mark" a file then move cursor to a different file and
>> attempt "vc-diff" the diff is always performed on the marked file
>> and not the one under the cursor as I would expect.
>
> Why would you expect this?  In ordinary directory mode, commands are
> typically performed on the marked files, regardless of where the cursor
> is.  Is there documentation that says vc-dir should behave differently?
>
> BTW, this has nothing to do with Cygwin.  The behavior you described
> also occurs on Linux.

I just read the documentation for ordinary directory mode, and I learned
that you can override the standard behavior by using a prefix argument.
  For example, mark a file, move to a different file, and type `1 D';
emacs will offer to delete the current file instead of the marked one.

Maybe vc-dir is similar.  I haven't tested it.

Ken