Messed up permissions on /var ?

David Lee Lambert davidl@lmert.com
Thu Aug 8 15:39:00 GMT 2013

I recently "migrated" a Cygwin instance from Windows XP to Windows 7
(wanted to save a bit of external bandwidth versus running the
installer again, also had a lot of custom stuff under /usr/local and
so forth).  X works fine.  I can't get sshd to work (started as a
daemon it would present a host key but not accept any password to log
in),  and I suspect I may have made things worse trying to fix it.

Trying to run the SSH daemon from a Cygwin command prompt started with
"Run as administrator...", I get the following output...

$ /usr/sbin/sshd -ddd
debug2: load_server_config: filename /etc/sshd_config
debug2: load_server_config: done config len = 253
debug2: parse_server_config: config /etc/sshd_config len 253
debug3: /etc/sshd_config:13 setting Port 22
debug3: /etc/sshd_config:41 setting StrictModes no
debug3: /etc/sshd_config:50 setting AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
debug3: /etc/sshd_config:102 setting UsePrivilegeSeparation sandbox
debug3: /etc/sshd_config:118 setting Subsystem sftp     /usr/sbin/sftp-server
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_6.2, OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
debug3: Incorrect RSA1 identifier
debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA
debug1: private host key: #0 type 1 RSA
debug3: Incorrect RSA1 identifier
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: private host key: #1 type 2 DSA
debug3: Incorrect RSA1 identifier
debug1: read PEM private key done: type ECDSA
debug1: private host key: #2 type 3 ECDSA
/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

>From that same terminal here are the permissions on /var and /var/empty...

dllamber@IBM-635c7e0ffd0 /var
$ ls -ld /var /var/empty
drwx---r-x+ 1 Administrator None 0 Aug  8 11:26 /var
drwxr-xr-x+ 1 SYSTEM        None 0 Aug  8 07:16 /var/empty

>From my "regular user" account, Cygwin terminal, here's what I get:

dllamber@IBM-635c7e0ffd0 ~
$ ls -l /var /var/empty
ls: cannot open directory /var: Permission denied
/var/empty:
total 0

>From "cmd.exe" run with "Run as administrator..." here's what I see...

C:\Cygwin>cacls var
C:\Cygwin\var IBM-635C7E0FFD0\Administrator:F
              IBM-635C7E0FFD0\None:(DENY)(special access:)
                                   FILE_READ_DATA
                                   FILE_READ_EA
                                   FILE_EXECUTE

              IBM-635C7E0FFD0\None:(special access:)
                                   READ_CONTROL
                                   SYNCHRONIZE
                                   FILE_READ_ATTRIBUTES

              Everyone:R
              IBM-635C7E0FFD0\dllamber:(OI)(CI)R

C:\Cygwin>cacls var\empty
Access is denied.

>From "cmd.exde" run as a regular user, I see exactly the same thing.

If I open Explorer and try to browse to "C:\Cygwin\var", I get a "You
don't currently have permissions to access this folder" dialog.  If I
hit "Continue" and enter my password for UAC, I get "You have been
denied permission to access this folder".

Any advice?

--
David L. Lambert
Member IEEE, ACM (david.lee.lambert@acm.org)