Cygwin 1.7.16-1 setup v2.774 problem for un-installable packages

Ken kstmp001@comcast.net
Sat Sep 15 15:07:00 GMT 2012

Hello,

I have come across an issue in setup where certain
Cygwin components are listed and, if selected, cause
setup to crash.  This is something that I do not recall
experiencing with previous versions of setup.  However,
I am unaware of when this actually first started.  A
cursory search of the mailing list does not yield
anything related to this particular issue.

Details:

- Host OS is Windows 7, 64bit
- setup.exe v2.774
- I had previously selected "Download Without
Installing" and saved many packages locally (my usual
method for years) without issue. This was done fresh on
9/15/2012.
- ran setup to "Install from Local Directory"
- toggle the "Default" to "Install" for all the
previously downloaded packages
- Now, examine the X11 section and observe that the end
of this listing includes many items listed as "Skip".
For example, x2x, Xaw3d, mkcfm, and proxymngr to name a
few.
- Attempt to toggle the "Skip" to determine what the
package size is and whether or not it is a binary or
source, then setup.exe crashes.

Note that this is not isolated to the X11 category.
There is a smattering of other packages throughout the
listing which instigate the same result.

As an additional aid, I have included a bzipped PDF
file which shows all of the above.

By the way, it appears that at least some of these are
listed in setup.ini without any "Install" or "Source"
line (perhaps all are listed in this way; I did not
check for this).

While I could employ a work-around (e.g., modify the
setup.ini file to remove the offending entries after
each download), I much prefer a more permanent
solution.  Is this enough detail where someone can
reproduce the problem and incorporate a fix?

Please note, that setup.exe otherwise operates fine and
installs the other selected packages (provided that
none of these "Skip" packages are touched).

My thanks goes out to the entire Cygwin team for their
tireless effort!

Kind regards,
Ken