Enlarging the Dos box window and font

Gary Johnson garyjohn@spocom.com
Thu Sep 13 22:03:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-09-13, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
> When I give a lecture or a speech, I use to display some text to the
> listeners. I create simple HTML pages, that I display on a projector.
> Because I'm blind, I need to have the same text on a braille display. I
> want to use a text based web browser, lynx, so I start Cygwin from
> within a normal Dos window (cmd), and from there, I can start BRLTTY and
> Lynx. This works perfect for me with the braille display, but to the people
> who are looking at the wall, the text is a bit too small, and not so easy
> to read.
>
> Is it possible to enlarge the window and the font size within the Dos
> box environment?

Yes, the Command Prompt has a context menu in the title bar that
will allow you to change the typeface and font size.  The window
will automatically resize to display the selected font.

In more detail:  Right-clicking in the title bar of the Command
Prompt window will display the context menu.  Select the Properties
entry, which is at the very bottom of the menu.  That will open a
dialog box containing four tabs.  Click on the Font tab.  In the
middle of that window is a Font list and to the right is a font Size
list.  The default font is Raster Fonts which appears to go only as
large as 10x18.  The other font is Lucida Console which has sizes as
large as 72 points.  On my system, a size of 28 results in the
largest Command Prompt window that will not overflow my screen.

When you click OK, another dialog box will pop up, asking if you
wish to "Apply properties to current window only" or "Modify
shortcut that started this window".  Select one and click OK.

HTH,
Gary