Emacs crashing on C-x C-g

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Oct 1 19:08:00 GMT 2012

On 10/1/2012 2:51 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hitting a strange behavior with emacs lately, where hitting C-x C-g
> [1] sometimes causes it to quit instantly: no request to save files, no
> seg fault, no error message, just gone (have to reset the terminal to
> clear out emacs' ncurses settings). It invariably happens after I've
> been away from the terminal for a while (days) and then come back use it
> again. I can't reproduce it reliably, but it's been awfully hard on my
> population of venerable emacs sessions, which used to go for weeks at a
> time between windows update reboots.
>
> I'll keep an eye out for more hints on what's going on, but meanwhile,
> has anyone else had this happen to them?
>
> cygwin-1.7.16-1
> emacs-x11-24.2-1 [2][3]
> mintty-1.1.2-1 [4]

I haven't seen it, and I do leave emacs running for days or weeks.  But
I almost always run emacs under X, not in a terminal.  Also, I generally
use the latest Cygwin snapshot.  Have you tried that?  Maybe you're
being bitten by the /etc problem that Corinna fixed in late July
(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-07/msg00666.html).

Ken