git fork failure on pull with a workaround (hopefully a clue for a fix)

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman@kitware.com
Thu Nov 15 21:28:00 GMT 2012

> Question: What are the odds that a posted strace snippet would not
> contain anything useful for debugging a problem?
>
> Answer: Nearly 100%

Thought it might give a clue as to which process was not able to fork.
And that someone might be able to tell me how to attach a debugger to
that process given that information.  It was admittedly a bit of a
stretch.

> The answer to your question, which will probably be taken as flip, is:
> you can debug the problem by diving into the cygwin source code.  If it
> isn't just a simple rebase problem then the solution would lie there.

Since it works with a smaller length PATH I would also think that rebase
would help. I have recently run rebase with no errors for what that is
worth.

 From your comment, I would take it that you think that the issue is in
the cygwin dll itself and not bash or git.

So, I guess you would suggest building a debug cygwin dll, and then
using gdb on git to try and find out where fork fails?

Thanks.

-Bill