environment variables in ssh non-interactive shell

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Nov 12 18:04:00 GMT 2012

On 11/12/2012 7:10 AM, Ariel Sommeria wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use environment variables to pilot a windows system
> through cygwin+ssh. Things work nicely with an interactive shell, but
> mess up with a non-interactive shell because my environment variables
> aren't set.
> I've set PermitUserEnvironment to yes in my sshd_config, I've set
> BLA=bla in .ssh/environment. Now when in my script I call 'env', I do
> see BLA in it. However echo $BLA doesn't echo anything.
> The only similar issue and suggestion I've found is this:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-10/msg01028.html
> Obviously I use the environment file, but it doesn't help.
> Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

I wonder whether you *exported* the variables in question.

BLA=bla

will put the setting in your environment, but does not automatically
add it to the environment of things you invoke.  For that to happen,
you need to say:

export BLA=bla

(or have 'set =a' active in bash).

Regards -- Eliot Moss