A cygwin mosh question

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Fri Nov 2 18:43:00 GMT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 11/1/2012 9:05 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>> On 10/31/2012 1:46 PM, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>>
>>> After seeing the announcement on mosh, I decided to install it and
>>> try it out.  I installed it on a remote server running Red Hat style
>>> Linux using yum, and on my laptop using cygwin.  Sadly, I have run
>>> into some problems:
>>>
>>> 1) The cygwin install does not include the dependency on the
>>>     IO:Tty package.  I installed that manually, using cpan.

Because I removed the perl wrapper, yes.

>>> 2) When I try to mosh to my remote server, all I ever get is
>>>     "Hangup".  Since there does not seem to be any "verbose mode",
>>>     I am not sure how to diagnose this further.
>>
>> I installed the latest version today and was able to get things
>> working.  (It prints out more about issues connecting, which
>> allowed me to resolve them.)
>>
>> - The remote end was not setting LANG for UTF-8.  I had to do this
>>    by: mosh --server='mosh-server new -l LANG=en_US.UTF-8'
>>
>> - I discovered that mosh does not support an xterm escape sequence
>>    that I use, namely one to *read* the window icon label: CSI 20 t
>>    and also CSI 11 t (reports whether the window is iconified).  My
>>    main purpose is to save and use the icon label as the base for
>>    setting a longer label or title
>>
>> I have worked around this by setting an extra environment variable
>> when using mosh, and skipping the reading of the icon label in that
>> case.
>>
>> However, all of this is not really cygwin-specific, so I'll stop
>> there.

The LANG issue needs to be reported upstream, yes.
The special icon getter, hmm. You can try to add a patch upstream for
this weird use-case.

>> However, the failure to install the IO:Tty dependency may be relevant.
>> Is there an easy way I can test that again?  What would I uninstall
>> and reinstall to check?  That is, cpan will install things, but how
>> would I *un*-install IO:Tty to check whether cygwin install of mosh
>> loads it?
>

> Oh, I think I get it now, after digging further into what the install
> of mosh actually does: the newer versions do not use perl, but work
> directly -- is that right?  If so, then the lack of dependence is
> correct, and I apologize for the extra chatter!

Yes. Perl caused problems in forks using IO::Pty and reading from STDIN.
This was explained in the announcement of the experimental mosh-1.2.2-2 package.
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-07/msg00021.html
--
Reini Urban
http://cpanel.net/   http://www.perl-compiler.org/